Raising a child with ADD/ADHD can be stressful and overwhelming for many families, which is why we’ve created this workshop to help parents develop an action plan for supporting their child in a more effective manner while simultaneously bringing some peace into their lives.
If you’re the parent of an ADHD child and you …
• Feel overwhelmed and stressed about how to manage their child’s poor attention
• Worry about what others think and if they’re judging your parenting
• Feel isolated from family & friends who don’t understand your struggles
• Worry how ADHD will affect your child’s future success and if they’ll turn out okay
• Feel exhausted from the day-to-day challenges you, your child, and your family deal with
Then know that you’re most definitely not alone!
We’ve been working with families of complex children for more than 20 years now, and please believe us when we say that that this is not easy for any parent. Your fatigue, frustrations and fears are normal.
But we also understand that just knowing others are in the same boat as you is not enough. You need specific coping strategies and practical information about how to manage the problems and stresses associated with parenting a child with ADD/ADHD (and you probably need them ASAP!)
Parenting the ADD/ADHD Child Workshop is offered one-on-one with both parents and is typically held on Saturdays from 9:00am to 2:00pm at our clinic, located at Oakwood Ave & St. Clair Ave West. The goal of the workshop is to help you better understand your role as a parent of a child with ADD/ADHD and not only how you can support them, but also how you can support yourself with the right kind of coping strategies for any situation.
PLEASE NOTE: This workshop is designed specifically for parents of children aged 5 to 12 years who have either been diagnosed with ADD/ADHD (Inattentive or Hyperactive types) or who exhibit symptoms of ADD/ ADHD / difficulties with executive functioning.
Since this is offered as a one-on-one workshop, we tailor the content to your family’s individual needs, but generally focus on the following topics:
Brain Comes First
• How to use the Brain First approach to understand your child’s strengths & weaknesses
• Developmental tasks requiring executive skills for different ages and stages
• Understanding the Regulated System in kids with ADD / ADHD
• How to shift (not lower) your expectations
• Introduction to the Parent Coaching Model and why it’s the most effective way to support your child
Creating Systems and Structures
• The importance of structure and planning for ADD /ADHD children
• How to identify postive and negative triggers
• The best strategies to use for creating a consistent, organized and effective environment that support your child’s weaknesses
• Guided exercise using the Action Plan worksheet to help parents create their own strategy for managing specific problem behaviours and situations.
• The role of psychoeducational assessments in understanding your child’s cognitive assets and liabilities
• Tips on getting the most out of IEPs, school accommodations and parent-teacher relationships
WHAT: Parenting the ADD/ADHD Child is a one-one-one parenting workshop (we recommend both parents attend when possible)
WHEN: Saturdays from 9am-2pm (please contact us at email@example.com for more details or to schedule your workshop)
WHERE: Valentin & Blackstock Psychology Clinic – 318 Oakwood Ave
WHO: Parents/caregivers of children with ADD/ADHD aged 5-12 years
WORKSHOP COST: $500, up to two parents
*Please note that this workshop is considered to be a Psychological Service and can therefore be covered by many extended health insurance plans. Please check with your provider or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
REGISTRATION: Please email us at email@example.com to book your workshop or if you have any questions/concerns.